Monday, October 30, 2006

All blogs do this so... on the veil

I am a libertarian and so I fully support the right of all those who wish to wear the veil to do so. However, I also fully support the right of those who do not wish to wear the veil, whatever pressure the may come under, and in whatever country. This is not just about women's rights but human freedom which I feel to be indivisible.

As a secularist and atheist I would love to see religious symbols disappear altogether, but I also believe in tolerance. Thus, I deplore religious hatred as much as I deplore being hated by the religious.

Isn't it depressing that in a supposedly liberal, but in reality vaguely authoritarian, society, we cannot find a consistency that allows free choice but defends resistance to oppression?

No comments: